My Blog List

Popular Posts

Powered By Blogger

Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Hell in a Hand Basket

We can no longer assume that the elections we vote in or the people we elect are necessarily going to give us the changes we seek.  The hands that hold power over us are too large, to gripping, to let go easily or at all.  I am not advocating violence, but very little else has worked other than direct revolution.  People in the streets demanding that our govt' respond to our requests or get out of the way.  Of course they won't move willingly, but if there are enough of us, we can force the issues to the forefront and while the internet is still free, force the MSM to recognize the reality of our demands.  We did it in the 60's with civil rights and the war in Viet Nam, and we are doing it regarding gay rights.  Hammer on and take the safety off!  We want health care - single payer preferred, we want an intelligent end to the wars, without input from the military-industrial complex, we want regulations for Wall street, Banks, Food and Drug safety, clean air and water and preservation of those things that money alone cannot replace.  Most of us are willing to work towards those ends.  Stop NAFTA or regulate it sensibly.  Join forces with other true democracies and we can find our way back to our own.  There are too many countries that are doing a better job for their citizens than we are.  Take the blind greed and profit-only out of the equation and you are left with moral certainty or NOT.  We have very little time left.  I am 63 and I remember a time of opportunity, work, good educational choices in public education and I remember the first time I saw a homeless person in my community.  I was shocked.  It was like seeing a zebra on Market St. in San Francisco.  Now this abomination is common and of no particular note.  What have we become?  Where are we going?  Why are we here?  Just to consume.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, This is Noel from The Loose Leaf Party. I agree with you that we have a mess on our hands. That's why I started Loose Leaf. I'm very concerned about the direction this country is going. I hope to add more functionality to the Loose Leaf web site. I got about 4 hours of sleep last night due to working on it. Anyway, I just wanted to visit and leave my calling card. I'll send you and email soon. I've a petition up on looseleafparty.org Take a look. talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Found your site, finally, but it's got a weird url. Anyway, we do campaigns for progressives here in Northern California. Good luck.

    Green Dog

    ReplyDelete